Monday, September 27, 2010

Digestable anti-aging treatments


Much to the chagrin of my health-nut mother, I have always hated vegetables. Hated. H.a.t.e.d. When I see my now grown children voluntarily buying and preparing things such as broccoli and spinach, I momentarily question their origins...until I remember that somehow I made these people, despite their green-eating ways. 

However, just because I would rather go hungry than eat brussels-sprouts, it doesn't mean I disapprove of vegetable consumption... for others. It just means I don't understand it? For all those with a healthier palate and more self-control than me, there is good skin news however. 

A recent study in Japan followed the diets of 716 women, in conjunction with their skin's appearance. The women who consumed the most green and yellow vegetables (roughly 3 servings a day) experienced decreased presence of crows-feet, and improved skin elasticity. The report suggests that the antioxidants found in green and yellow vegetables (such as asparagus, bell peppers, zucchini) can help the skin maintain a youthful appearance. This supports recent findings from Australia, which showed that high intakes of vegetables and olive oil can help protect the skin against sun damage. (This does not mean a big salad means its ok to skip sunscreen though!)

Aside from positive effects on the skin, there are numerous other health benefits to eating vegetables... they are good for helping maintaining a healthy weight, have nutrients your body needs to optimally function, and can add nice pops of color to your plate. (C'mon, I hate the things, thinking of positive vegetable attributes is difficult.) 

I suppose the benefits outweigh the cons (they taste awful), and if these studies end up being right-- then I'm extra jealous of the people who can happily swallow the disgusting things that grow out of the dirt. In the meantime, I'll stick to my Botox, Fraxel, and sunscreen, and wait for the study that shows the skin benefits of a diet high in Fluff consumption.

No comments:

Post a Comment