Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Barbie of the Week: Meet Nadya



1) Why locks? 
After being in Japan for a little over year I realized that the only way to maintain and grow my hair (without relying on harsh chemicals and/or weaves or braids) was to lock it. I personally prefer to keep my hair low because of the low maintenance but I always knew that if I was to ever grow my hair again it would be with locks. As I continue to grow as a person I try to live a more natural lifestyle. A part of that is by growing locks.

2) How long did you wear your hair before going natural? 
Before "going natural" I used to have a dry curl in my hair and at it's longest it was about shoulder length. 

3) How did you wear your hair before going natural? 
After deciding to stop using harsh chemicals in my hair I cut it all off and kept it low (and texturized) for a little over 3 years. Then I came to Japan, leaving my barber in Jamaica. He is the only person I actually trust to cut my hair. Since coming to Japan I had my hair cut once by a friend and it was a scary experience. That's when it became clear to me that I was going to have to grow my hair out. I wore extensions for a while then I after that I decided it was time to lock it. 

4) What's your favorite hair products? Why?
I primarily use the Jamaican Mango and Lime products but I also use Oyin hair products from time to time. However my all time favourite product would have to be Oyin's Shine and Define gentle styling Serum because it smells amazing and it leaves my hair feeling silky smooth. 

5) What or who inspired you to lock?
Deciding to lock was a personal decision for me however my best friend's locks as well as other friends and family members close to me helped to motivate me to make the right decision when the time came. 

6) What do you like most about locks? 
I love how locks serve as a celebration of black beauty. In society we are too often bombarded with images of beauty that look nothing like us (as black women). To me, locks make the unapologetic statement "Black is beautiful."

7) What hair items/products you can't live without?
Currently, I've become obsessed with hair beads of all colours and shapes. I think they make my locks unique and they represent who I am as an individual. 

8) What advice would you give to women contemplating growing locks?
For anyone out there who is contemplating growing locks I would say, be patient and enjoy the journey. It's one thing to have long beautiful locks but growing as an individual while simultaneously watching and feeling your locks grow is the most rewarding feeling of all. 

9) Anything else?
Thanks to you Synethia for making me a Barbie! Your blog is great! :o)

10) How can you be contacted? (blogs, twitter, websites etc):
My personal blog is www.nadyadee.com and my twitter is @nadyadee. I also post random photos on my tumblr: theoneandonlynadyadee.tumblr.com.

Remember if you have natural hair or locks and would like to be featured as a Barbie or Ken, please email me at synethiae@gmail.com for more information.

Thank you for reading. Until next time run wild in fashion, beauty, health, hair and style.
Syn

No comments:

Post a Comment